Housing Specialist - (SSVF - LA)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) promotes housing stability to homeless or at–risk–of–becoming homeless Veterans and their families. The goal of the SSVF program is to provide clients with the skills necessary to maintain long term, independent living. SSVF is a short-term crisis intervention program, with services to include case management, housing and financial counseling, and assistance in obtaining benefits and services. For both individual Veterans and those with dependents.
The SSVF Housing Specialist duties are summarized as:
- Identifies and locates housing options suitable for veteran households as needed
- Connect with landlords and familiarize them with the SSVF & HUD programs and community resources to assist both tenants and landlords in the event of potential problems leading to eviction
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a housing database linking tenants to apartments
- Will coordinate follow-through services with SSVF case management team and conduct habitability and lead based paint inspections as requested
- Will provide information, referrals,crisis intervention, and assistance with permanent housing placement to all participants and Case Managers
- Will maintain appropriate records in accordance with VOA/Veteran Administration Grant
- Provides referrals and crisis intervention as needed
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience; MSW a plus
- 1 - 3 years experience working with veterans, people in recovery and or homelessness individuals
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Valid California driver's license, insurance and reliable transportation
- Must be proficient in record keeping tracking, maintaining, and reporting statistics according to program guidelines and requirements
- Must have the ability to meet the physical requirements of this position
- U.S. Veteran strongly preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish) strongly preferred.
- Database experience (HMIS) strongly preferred
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds