Housing Development Director
Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Housing Development Director will manage property pre-development efforts, and is responsible for the practical management and planning of affordable housing and transitional housing acquisitions and development projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversight and management of property pre-development activities which includes affordable housing and transitional housing acquisitions and development.
- Prepares scopes of work, Requests for Proposals, Requests for Qualifications and other related documents with respect to development projects; coordinates and organizes documents related to the procurement process
- Coordinates development activities with outside agencies and organizations, including government funding agencies for various development funding sources (e.g., LIHTC, NMTC, AHP, EHAP, HCID, etc.)
- Obtains and reviews real estate appraisals, development proformas, project budgets, and other financial information related to development projects.
- Coordinates review and execution of various development-related agreements, working with internal and external legal counsel.
- Coordinates consultants and vendors to conduct property surveys, CEQA, environmental, appraisals, etc.
- Works with broker to review and evaluate potential properties for acquisition for development.
- Works with program leadership to determine property use and integrate those intentions into property development efforts.
- Works with developer partner (e.g., VOANS) to coordinate partnership, management, and funding applications.
- Works with internal community relations as necessary for project acceptance into the community.
- Coordinates with grant writers for funding applications.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelors Degree (Business Administration or related)
- 4 years in Program Development including experience in:
- staff supervision;
- budget and program management;
- reporting and compliance with state & federal regulations.
- 4 years experience in property development
- Knowledge of Funding sources:
- LA County HCID,
- State EHAP,
- Bank - AHP and LIHTC,
- Federal – LIHTC and NMTC
- HOME Funds
- HACLA Vouchers
- Strong knowledge of Programmatic standards of operation and client focused ideology.
- Knowledge of social work
- Strong computer skills: Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven Leadership qualities
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication in the English Language
- Demonstrated Ability to set priorities, handle multiple tasks, delegate as appropriate
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making, interpret data, detail oriented, accurate, analytical and organized
- Demonstrated Ability to meet deadlines
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate, conflict resolution.
- Experience building homeless shelters, school facilities and other regulated services a major plus.
- Thorough knowledge of application process of funding sources
- Microsoft Projects for Construction projects scheduling
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.