Health Coordinator (HS - South Los Angeles)
Children's Services | South Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm.
This position has functional responsibility for planning, implementing and evaluating the health services program, which includes establishing effective methods of meeting the health needs of children, rendering services required by the performance standards, and providing health education within the agency.
- Provide a comprehensive health services program which includes a broad range of medical, dental, mental health and nutrition services to preschool children, including disabled children, to assist the child's physical, emotional, cognitive and social competence.
- Promote preventive health services and early intervention.
- Provide the child's family with the necessary skills and insight and otherwise attempt top link the family to an ongoing health care system to ensure that the child continues to receive comprehensive health care system to ensure that the child continues to receive comprehensive health care even after leaving the Head Start Program.
- Other job related duties as assigned
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Health Science or Public Health Administration preferred or a closely related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in community health, occupational health or related areas.
- One (1) year experience in supervision preferred.
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Knowledge of State and federal laws and regulations governing Head Start-State Preschool health services.
- Knowledge of methods of health promotion, disease prevention and control of communicable diseases.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal) desirable.
- Must have excellent computer skills.
- First aid and CPR certification desirable