Head Cook Pomona Centralized Service Center
Adult Services | Pomona, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Head Cook will bring a passion for fresh, wholesome food prepared from scratch as well as the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. This position requires a commitment to a safe and sanitary kitchen operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all kitchen operations providing supervision to kitchen staff
- Train subordinate cooks to assure smooth kitchen operations in absence of Head Cook
- Design food plans and prepares food consumption estimates for 400+ participants each meal
- Prepare food and supply requisitions; order needed food, supplies and equipment.
- Conduct regular inspections of food preparation and serving areas as well as equipment to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices and housekeeping practices.
- Review work procedures and operational problems to determine ways to improve service, performance and safety.
- Prepare special menu items and participate in meal preparation as required.
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, for on-premises dining and delivery to remote sites.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning;
- monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring;
- regulate cooking temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- properly package meals for delivery as required.
- Ensure that menu plans and inventory utilized are being followed completely and accurately (i.e.: amounts and inventory rotation) by staff.
- Provides training and direction to Food Services and Program Staff as appropriate:
- Training on policies and procedures to ensure safety of participants, co-workers, guests, and property
- Training of Food Services staff to ensure smooth kitchen operations
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- Provide exceptional customer service through quality participant engagement
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Must be able to perform physical activities
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis without assistance
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Active Food Handlers Permit
- Minimum of 4 years of progressively more responsible Food Service experience
- Experience with supervising, leading, and coaching staff
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Demonstrated knowledge of kitchen business and management principles including assistant cook development; coordination of people and resources; production methods; and leadership and management skills
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and Internet Navigation.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-
- Excellent organizational and motivational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing duties
- Conflict Resolution Ability
- Able to lead the work of team members and train team on proper procedures
- Able to instruct entry level food service workers as well as experienced Cooks
- Able to instruct on safe and sanitary kitchen operations
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Team Player – committed to excellence in food preparation, sanitation and safety.
- Culinary Arts Degree or certificate Safe-serve certifications.
- Catering/food delivery experience.
- Knowledge of incident reporting, proper knife skills, kitchen safety protocols, basic first aid, inventory management, and menu planning
- Familiarity with automated dietary information systems for tracking menu and inventory.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.