Food Service Worker
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Long Beach, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond.
The food service worker is responsible for timely delivery of meals to assigned facilities. The food service worker will work as a part of a team to pack out and deliver meals each day to sites across Los Angeles County. Responsibilities include equipment maintenance, food production, pack-out, and delivery. The food service worker is a critical member of the team and he/she will interact with sites on a daily basis, serving customers and representing the company throughout the community. Must ensure all guidelines are followed for safe and timely delivery. Some light custodial duties as needed.
- Prepare main dishes, vegetables, dessert, and snacks for clients according to menu, recipes, and instructions
- Wash and clean cooking utensils, equipment and maintain a safe and sanitary food service environment
- Maintain an inventory and record of food service items including quantities and specifications
- Assembly, packing and delivery of meals to sites across Los Angeles County
- Proper placement and care of meals when distributed to sites including ensuring appropriate temperature levels for all food
- Maintain Delivery equipment in good working condition
- On-time receiving, transferring, and organizing food supplies when delivered to kitchen facility
- Heavy lifting required
- Ability to give and take instructions
- Ability to work closely with outside personnel
- Maintain program vehicle in good operating condition, clean vehicle, and equipment after each delivery
- Attend meetings as designated by agency and/or as deemed necessary by Supervisor
- Fully understand and carry out all Agency policies and procedures; government agency regulations, policies and procedures, if applicable; and day-to-day implementation of the Operation Procedures Manual
- Excellent customer service, serving sites and customers in a professional, courteous, and helpful manner
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- High Sites Diploma or Equivalent preferred
- Ability to obtain Food Handler's Certification
- Experienced and dependable food service worker (catering/food delivery experience preferred).
- Familiarity with Southern California driving conditions
- Attention to detail, especially concerning counting accurately and organizing deliveries/equipment.
- Able to perform physical requirements of job, including ability to safely lift and operate wheeled carts and dollies
- Works well with others and participates as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build and maintain good relations with sites customers
- Takes pride in maintaining a clean, orderly environment and delivering a high quality product to sites
- Committed to the mission that all children will have access to nutritious, tasty food to support the development of healthy minds and bodies
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment
- Must have valid California driver's license and have clean driving record to be insurable by VOALA insurance