Financial Coach Hollywood FamilySource Center
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HOLLYWOOD FamilySource CENTER
A partnership with the City of Los Angeles, the Hollywood FamilySource Center has two primary goals: (1) increased family income; and (2) improved academic outcomes for students, to include completion of High School/GED, post-secondary education and English as a Second Language Certification (as appropriate).
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Financial Coach helps clients with the basics of money management. Working with clients who may have a bad relationship with money or who have other obstacles keeping them from managing their finances well. The goal is to help their clients develop healthy money habits that will last through education on the basics of personal finance. Work with families to create a financial plan that reflects their goals; empower clients to take responsibility for their decisions and establish accountability procedures to implement the lessons taught.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops an individualized plan with participating families to achieve financial goals
- Conduct initial financial health assessment of the family's banking, credit, debt and savings.
- Identify challenges and barriers to financial wellbeing, building awareness around spending habits, usually by tracking daily, weekly and monthly spending
- Assist in preparing a complete and detailed plan to achieve goals, establishing good financial habits, addressing challenges facing the families
- Meet regularly with participating families, to track progress of the family's ability to develop and manage safe and affordable banking relationships, establish or improve their credit score, reduce debt and build savings
- Represent the interests of the agency, (Volunteers of America Greater Los Angeles) the program and its participants in all networking and public relations opportunities
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance or related field -or- be certified as a financial coach -or- have four years providing financial capability programs.
- One year of experience working in financial assistance or related field
- Knowledge of financial health assessments and personal finance
- Microsoft operating systems including: Office, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
- Familiar with internet applications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to coach life skills
- Ability to assess spending habits and develop healthy money management practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct presentations to groups
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.