Financial Assistant I
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Serving those who serve others. The Accounting Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable. Administers finance operations and fiscal regulatory efforts for over 120 human services programs with over 2000 employees.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Financial Assistant I: Performs financial data entry and maintains accounting records and provides general assistance to the Accounting department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in financial data entry
- Assist in updating and maintaining financial records
- Assist in preparing and posting the general and accrual entries
- Assist in preparation of settling budgets
- Assist with audits as necessary
- Manage data, records, and reports by checking for errors and verifying accuracy of information
- Performs other tasks as directed by senior accountant or financial manager
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Associate’s Degree in finance, business or accounting, or equivalent college coursework (two years).
- 2 years of experience in bookkeeping, finance, or accounting: Or Bachelor’s Degree in lieu of experience
- Basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Proficient with Microsoft operating systems - Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Office.
- Strong skill with Microsoft Excel
- Data entry, record keeping and database operation (QuickBooks or other accounting software)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Strong 10-key skills
- Strong math and good organizational skills
- Sets priorities, handle multiple tasks, able to meet deadlines
- Skilled problem solving and decision making,
- Detail oriented, able to accurately interpret data.
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, business or accounting
- Familiar with QuickBooks and Great Plain accounting software
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.