Family Services Specialist/Health (EHS/HS) - (Registered Nurse)
Children's Services | North Hollywood, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond.
This position is responsible for the planning, implementation and evaluating the health services program. Services being provided will include, establishing effective methods of meeting the health care needs of children, rendering services and resources required by the performance standards, licensing, and program regulations in addition to providing/promoting health education within the agency.
- Travels to sites, community agencies, conferences, training's as required
- Creates and develops Individual Health Plans and conducts training's or meetings with designated staff and family
- Maintains current data, health records, health plans and medication treatment assessments up to date and ensures confidentiality.
- Collaborates effectively with others in a multidisciplinary approach and encourages a team environment.
- Demonstrates leadership abilities and serves as a spokesperson for families. Promotes preventative health services and early intervention
- Provides comprehensive health services to include services in health, dental, mental health, nutrition, and safety and wellness to children, families and staff
- Provides children and families with direct links and connects children and families to needed services or resources out in the community
- Maintains records, pulls and submits reports, monitors files, and does home visits if necessary
- Maintains up to date procedures in line with health trends and program needs which includes creating and monitoring incidental medical services plans and training's
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- A Bachelor’s of Science in nursing
- Current and valid California license (Registered Nurse or Public Health Nurse)
- A registered nurse with the State of California with 2+ years of nursing practice/experience
- Know principals, techniques, and methods of current health practices, health promotion, disease prevention, and communicable diseases
- Be able to development, implement and train staff
- Must be able to provide consultation and assistance in health related practices and processes
- Develop procedures and health care plans
- Be able to assess and evaluate health needs in children and refer or acquire services needed to improve health outcomes
- Must have excellent computer skills including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Must have first aid and CPR certifications
- Must have valid California driver’s license and access to dependable automobile with adequate insurance in order to make home visits and/or to travel to different school and office sites
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Work experience in Head Start/Early Head Start programs
- Knowledge of health practices and principles
- Bilingual in English/Spanish or other language i.e. Armenian or Farsi
- Certifications in public health, health education, school nurse or related field
- CERT Certified