Family Advocate II (West LA)
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:15 pm.
Under supervision, the Family Advocate:
- Manages a caseload of families; makes regular home visits within established requirements; disseminates and collects materials pertaining to services available to families
- Interviews parent(s) and compiles mandated background information; assists families with identifying and attaining milestones of family goals
- Maintains outreach and recruitment to ensure site enrollment of eligible children; actively participates in re-involvement efforts
- Establishes child file; collects, maintains, updates and disseminates information, as needed
- Promotes parent advocacy; facilitates parent activities and training and ensures parent participation and involvement
- Provides health-related services to children such as vision and hearing screenings
- Establishes and maintains contacts with community-based service organizations and resources; initiates and follows-up on referral process in conjunction with families, teachers, and service support staff
- Actively participates in classroom environment and with parent volunteers
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Services, Health or related field
- Must have excellent computer skills including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Must have first aid and CPR certifications
- Must have valid California driver’s license and access to dependable automobile with adequate insurance in order to make home visits and/or to travel to different school and office sites
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment
- Proof at the time of hire
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment including, but not limited to:
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Frequently kneel and squat
- Ability to move quickly
- Experience working in social work, case management, or as a health or parent involvement aid in a related program a plus
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.