Family Advocate I (HS-North Hollywood)
Children Services – Head Start – Childcare | North Hollywood, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Through our Head Start and Early Head Start programs, we work with children (ages 2 – 5) and their families to provide the skills, confidence and stable home life necessary for a smooth transition into kindergarten and beyond. Head Start positions are generally Monday through Friday, (10-1/2 months per year).
The Family Advocate I works with the Head Start staff to provide children with a learning environment that supports each child’s age-appropriate development and prepares them to be school-ready. Under direct supervision, the Family Advocate I:
- Manages a caseload of families; makes regular home visits within established requirements
- Interviews parent(s) and compiles mandated background information; assists families with identifying family goals
- Maintains outreach and recruitment to ensure site enrollment of eligible children; Establishes child file; collects, maintains, updates and disseminates information, as needed
- Ensures parent participation and involvement
- Provides health-related services to children such as vision and hearing screenings
- Establishes and maintains contacts with community-based service organizations and resources; initiates and follows-up on referral process in conjunction with families, teachers, and service support staff
- Actively participates in classroom environment and with parent volunteers; works with a team to ensure safety and security of children
- Prepares and submits required reports and administrative forms; inputs, retrieves and updates data in the electronic database.
- Must have a minimum of twelve (12) units in early childhood education or child development
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent experience working with children at home or in an educational program
- Must be actively pursuing a Child Development Permit and further education
- Must have excellent computer skills including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Must have first aid and CPR certifications
- Must have valid California driver’s license and access to dependable automobile with adequate insurance in order to make home visits and/or to travel to different school and office sites
- Fingerprint clearance required prior to employment
- Must have physical examination at the time of employment
- Must have TB clearance at the time of employment issued within past 6 months; TB clearance must be renewed annually
- Must be physically able to lift up to 50 lbs, to move quickly and to perform duties requiring squatting and kneeling in order to interact with children in a very busy environment
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) preferred
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.