Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Serving those who serve others – Supporting over 120 social service programs with responsive administrative efforts.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Executive Assistant to the COO will provide executive-level support to the Chief Operating Officer (COO). The primary responsibilities of this role are to assist the COO with follow up to current and new projects, coordinate with internal and external stakeholders and work on operations related projects, as well as special projects. Provides logistical and travel support. This position will report directly to the COO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide special project leadership and support as needed.
- Conduct research on a variety of topics; draft materials as needed
- Track COO’s tasks and projects to ensure appropriate prioritization of projects with respect to deadlines and organizational developments
- Provide "gatekeeper" and "gateway" role, providing a bridge for smooth communication between the COO and staff, demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust, and support with the Executive Team. Complete projects by assigning work to appropriate staff, including the Executive Team, on behalf of the COO
- Ensure consistent and efficient interaction with program staff across the organization; demonstrate poise and tact under pressure and handle matters with sound judgement and confidentiality
- Provide sophisticated calendar management for COO. Prioritize inquiries and requests while troubleshooting conflicts; make judgements and recommendations to ensure smooth day-to-day engagements. Assist COO with schedule, manage and log incoming scheduling requests, re-schedule meetings upon request, set up zoom meetings, proactively communicate changes, and anticipate and respond to scheduling conflicts
- Organize internal and external meeting for COO, including logistical and substantive preparation
- Manage all travel scheduling and arrangements
- Develop and submit reports as requested
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- BA/BS degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Social services or related discipline.
- Four years of experience in providing high-level administrative support to C-level executives.
- Six total years of post-secondary professional work history in related work in lieu of Bachelor’s degree considered.
- Knowledge of the VOALA’s mission and target populations
- Fluent knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Knowledge of project management
- Knowledge of event planning
- Knowledge of time management best practices
- Strong Computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Familiar with Web-based applications and databases
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong organizational skills – ability to find answers quickly and keep operations flowing smoothly.
- Strong time management skills to keep operations flowing smoothly, and reduce stress levels.
- Able to take interruptions in stride and to prioritize effectively.
- Strong Communication skills - able to speak and write professionally to executives, business partners, and staff
- Demonstrated strong relationship building skills
- Able to anticipate needs and avoid crisis
- Strong attention to detail
- Professional discretion
- Proven skill in event coordination
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Servant leader, humility to serve executive with air of modesty
- Independent problem solver
- Significant executive support experience, including supporting C-level executives.
- Nonprofit board experience is highly-preferred.
- Experience managing complex event logistics
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.