English/ Language Arts Instructor - (Upward Bound Los Angeles)
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Upward Bound identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. The program provides academic, career and financials advising to students; encourages them to graduate from high school and continue their post-secondary education. The program operates an academic and summer component. Provides after school enrichment program, college and career tours.
Position Overview: Ability to teach and prepare program participants to meet the required scores for the state test CAASPP. Students whose test results meet the requirements will demonstrate that they are college ready. Develop and implement curriculum that reflects topics for preparation and mastery.
Available to work Saturdays 8:00AM to 3:00PM
- Develop and teach English/language Arts curriculum for CAASPP; Test preparations in alignment with Common Core State Standards
- Prepare and submit: Subject Syllabus, lesson plans and participant evaluation reports
- Administer Assessment Test to participants (Pre/Post Tests)
- Prepare students to pass Advanced Placement courses
- Communicate with Project management staff regarding course success and challenges
- Develop resource course materials to enhance instructional learning activities
- Prepare quarterly evaluation progress reports for participants and parents.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in English or Related Field
- 2 years teaching experience with high school students
- Available to work Saturdays 8:00AM to 3:00PM
- Tutor students in Language Arts
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Knowledge of State of California CAASSP Test Program.
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Can incorporate innovative approach with teach techniques
- Teaching credential preferred, or CBEST Test completion