English Instructor Part Time As Needed Upward Bound
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Serving students at Roosevelt High, Dorsey High, Crenshaw High, Washington Preparatory, Leuzinger, North Hollywood High, San Fernando High, Polytechnic High, Sun Valley and Westminster High. Upward Bound provides fundamental support and preparation for college. Serving more than 500 students annually from low-income families and/or high school students from families in which neither parent holds a college degree.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education. We provide after-school academic instruction in core subjects and foreign languages, as well as PSAT, SAT, and ACT test preparation. Career exploration and mentoring are also an integral component to assist participants in deciding on potential college majors and career options.
We also provide college and career planning workshops, a summer program, individualized academic planning and counseling, financial aid advising, scholarship and application assistance, supplemental Saturday instruction and weekly tutoring as well as college and cultural field trips and an alumni program.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The English Instructor is responsible for providing instructional classes to students, inspire them to stay in school, thus reducing truancy and increasing Upward Bound graduation rates. Under the general supervision of the Project Coordinator, the instructor is responsible for developing and teaching the course curriculum, assess participants academic skill levels, ensure mastery of course materials, measure progress, tutor and prepare and submit reports.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop curriculum and lesson plans in accordance with California Content Standards
- Provides seminars and workshops for students
- Teach students strategies to increase critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Prepare, distribute, collect and grade academic assignments to measure retention of academic subject
- Act as academic advisor, mentor students, counsel on post-secondary education, showing connection between education and future well-being
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- California Teachers Credentials
- 2 years of teaching experience in English
- Intermediate knowledge in English Language Arts, literature and writing.
- Knowledge of various learning styles.
- Ability to interpret diagnostic tests.
- College admission requirements
- Excellent Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively instruct students and track academic progress
- Ability to interpret diagnostic tests.
- Workshop presentation on Study Skills.
- Ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Ability to mentor high school students with academic support to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Ability to teach in other areas as needed to improve student’s subject comprehension
- Build rapport with students in all aspects
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for students transiting from High School to College
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the students
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.