Employment Compliance Analyst
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Employment Compliance Analyst will assist the Employee Relations, payroll, and program teams perform all activities necessary to ensure the production of compliant payroll focused on ensuring compliance with meal and rest period requirements of California, and the City and County of Los Angeles. Performs analysis of payroll processes and procedures, including draft, review and amendment. Provide timely focused advice and guidance to funders and business partners in relation to regulatory obligations and identify and facilitate continuous improvement opportunities to reduce the risk of compliance incidents and breaches. Primary responsibilities will be to act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the Employee Relations and Payroll teams in the areas of: analysis, audit, integration, and overall payroll administration support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Wage & Hour Compliance
- Gather data in the areas of meal and rest period requirement compliance, report findings to ER Team
- Identify process improvement initiatives and define standards for new processes
- Provide support to Payroll Operations to ensure timely and accurate compliance
- Support the establishment of appropriate quality control measures, internal controls and the development of standard audit procedures to ensure adherence to regulatory agency guidelines
- Audit and analysis of payroll data in the areas of: accuracy, meal and rest period compliance, and provide general checks and balances to the payroll operating function
Conducts Monthly Audits of wage and hour and overtime reports
- Discerns patterns and issues with meal and rest periods
- Recommends system resolutions
- Monitoring patterns to follow up with program leaders to address concerns
- Recommends follow up for areas that show patterns of missed meal periods and/or excessive overtime
- Works with Employee Relations Specialists to develop corrective action plans and identify opportunities for education and system roles for greater compliance
- Provides regular reports to Sr. HR Director, Director of Employee Relations, and COO on analytic findings and recommendations
- Assist in maintaining a strategic and coordinated approach for resolving business critical country-specific regulatory requirements and compliance requests
- Partner with cross-functional teams to review internal and external communications related regulations and payroll compliance
- Based on regulatory changes or audit results, research and communicate recommendations for handling wage-hour compliance issues
- Provides ad hoc analytic reports as needed for employment compliance matters
- Provide guidance to and share knowledge with colleagues relating to own specialization
- Maintain subject matter expertise regarding regulations and compliance requirements. This includes staying current with agency updates, association publications, attending compliance training and participating in best practice meetings/seminars
- Recommend changes in payroll policies and procedures to continue to improve inefficiencies with the department
- Train ER and Program leaders on new or enhanced operation procedures and policies
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, HR, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in Wage & Hour Compliance. Some Payroll related experience is required.
- Strong working knowledge of federal, state and local employment regulations.
- Solid understanding of payroll processes, state tax laws, wage and hour laws
- Strong skills in Microsoft operating system: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Skilled with automated timekeeping systems and HRIS applications
- Familiar with internet applications.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong audit skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop reports.
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to collaborate and partner effectively with cross-functional teams
- Strong problem solving and organization skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues and provide solutions to a variety of complex problems
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Ability to work well with others – on own team and across departments
- Positive, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude that views challenges as opportunities
- Solid commitment to making sure things are done right and on time
- Previous experience using UltiPro HRIS software and attendance software is preferred.
- Familiarity with the non-profit employer industry is a plus
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.