Employee Relations Manager
Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Human Resources Generalist/Manager will join the HR team in providing the needed expertise necessary to maintain daily employee needs as well as project support as VOALA continues its growth. This is a hands-on position that will be primarily involved in front-line interaction with program managers and staff in communications, coaching and relationship building.
The Employee Relations Manager will provide a hands-on presence by:
- Interacting with employees and managers in assigned programs to assist with questions and policy clarification; makes on-site visits to programs sites to provide face-to-face HR availability to staff in the work environment
- Working with program managers to facilitate recruiting and staffing needs
- Conducting workplace investigations and fielding employee concerns
- Coaching managers in policy implementation, performance management, and other HR initiatives
- Becoming a key part of positioning the HR department as a strategic partner to continuing program and corporate growth and change.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent HR experience
- 5 - 7 years of broad, hands-on experience in a HR generalist or HR management position;
- Comprehensive knowledge of California employment laws and requirements
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills; bilingual (Spanish) helpful
- Proven experience communication of change initiatives to highly-diverse employee populations
- 2+ years HR management responsibility in a mid-size organization helpful
- Proven ability to conduct presentations in front of small and large groups on a variety of topics (training, benefits, etc.)
- Systematic and organized approach to projects and day-to-day responsibilities