Employee Relations Associate II
Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Human Resources Employee Relations Associate II assists the HR team by providing the support necessary to maintain daily employee relations needs as well as employee relations project support as VOALA continues its growth. This is a hands-on position that will be primarily involved in front-line interaction with program managers and staff in communications, coaching and relationship building. This is an individual contributor role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interacting with employees and managers in assigned programs to assist with questions and policy clarification; makes on-site visits to program sites to provide face-to-face HR availability to employees in the work environment
- Conducting workplace interviews and address employee concerns; serve as a liaison between program staff and the HR department
- Assist with compliance and program audits
- Support the employee relations team with investigations, written warnings, and documentation
- Conducts basic investigations, applying the verification and resolution of facts and issues in matters affecting disciplinary actions, grievances, appeals, and complaints, refers complex matters to HR Employee Relations Specialist or Senior Manager of Employee Relations as required
- Participates in training employees and managers in HR Policy, Compliance, and best practices
- Is a resource for HR Service team
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver license and access to dependable transportation with adequate insurance
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (4 years of relevant experience / coursework)
- Minimum two years of general HR and/or Employee Relations work experience in a large organization (500+ employees)
- Two years familiarity with Employee Relations for a large employer (500+ employees)
- Working knowledge of California and Federal employment laws and requirements
- Working knowledge of evaluation procedures, progressive discipline, and conflict resolution.
- Working knowledge of investigation techniques and due process requirements
- Understanding of VOALA mission, and ethos as a “second-chance” employer
- Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Working skill with Web-based applications and databases, specifically HRIS and Timekeeping programs
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to maintain balance and objectivity in stressful situations.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and close assigned cases within established timeframes.
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills; relationship building skills
- Systematic and organized approach to projects and day-to-day responsibilities
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability and desire to work with people from various backgrounds and/or limited English capabilities at all levels within an organization – front line staff to senior leaders
- Ability to develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative employees in a service oriented, second-chance non-profit organization.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- PHR or SHRM-CP
- Two years of Experience in Employee Relations
- Professional level human resources and/or employee relations experience in large complex organizations
- Experience with NOVATime and Ulti-Pro a plus
- Bilingual (Spanish)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.