Educational Advisor (Upward Bound Westminister)
Youth Services | Westminster, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Educational Advisor is responsible for preparing Upward Bound participants for high school graduation and post secondary education. This will be attained with the provision of services and activities that will enhance motivation and improved graduation rate.
- Coordinate and provide academic, career, and personal advising to project participants
- Advise participants on high school graduation requirements, college admission requirements, and financial aid programs
- Identify and recruit eligible participants
- Refer participants and/or parents to appropriate community or social agencies
- Develop and facilitate various college prep and parent workshops
- Develop and facilitate college and career planning seminars
- Plan and conduct academic, recreational, and cultural activities
- Administer assessment inventories and interpret test results
- Assist with the collection of data and surveys to report program outcomes
- Document all student contact and service rendered
- Visit target schools to monitor participants’ progress
- Maintain and document participant files
- Responsible for overseeing tutoring sessions
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of tutors and volunteers
- Responsible for the development of individualized education plans for program participants
- Responsible for meeting Upward Bound goals and objectives set by grant proposal
- Proficiency in online tools/resources: CSU Mentor, University of California Doorways A-G Requirements, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), SAT/ACT College Entrance Exam Registration, California Colleges and Career Exploration.
- Work with Cyber Tutor Coordinator by pairing students with tutors and track their progress.
- Prepare and submit weekly report for participants on caseload.
- Responsible for submitting monthly program reports
- Attend scheduled meetings, and report on program progress.
- Assist with the collection of data for the APR report.
- Collaborate with other outreach programs and community agencies with similar goals.
- May work on weekends and evenings
- Additional duties may be assigned
- Bachelors Degree In Education or Counseling
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Experience with TRIO
- Ability to relate effectively with people
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to exercise patience, understanding, creativity, and flexibility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain accurate records and present data contained in those records in a timely manner
- Competent user of all MS Office Suite applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to work a regular schedule provided by your direct supervisor
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Preferably Bilingual ( Vietnamese and English)
- Master's degree in education, social work or counseling from accredited college or university preferred
- Experience advising and assisting students with college admissions and financial aid process
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting project participants
- Formal training and/or work experience in programming that improves secondary school retention/graduation rates
VOALA is an Equal Opportunity Employer