Educational Advisor (North Hollywood)
TRIO - Talent Search | North Hollywood, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Talent Search is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Talent Search program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Talent Search serves high school students from low-income familiies and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increate the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
The Educational Advisor is responsible for motivating and preparing program participants for high school graduation and post-secondary education. This position:
- Recruits, selects, enrolls and manages a caseload of 130 students
- Provides participants with academic advising and planning; career awareness and assessment; information about post-secondary options, colledge entrance examination, and financial aid; and assistance with the application process.
- Develops curriculum and implements workshops/seminars on colleage and career planning, financial literacy and personal development
- Maintains files and records on participants document services provided, student progress and outcomes.
- Plans and coordinates college and career tours
- Visits target schools to monitor participant progress and assist school staff with college planning process
- Coordinates tutorial services and assists in pairing students with tutors; tracks student progress.
- Bachelor's degree required in education, social work, counseling from accredited college or university
- Minimum of 2 - 3 years of relevant professional experience working in a TRIO Federal program or similar program with disadvantaged and at-risk students
- Experience preparing high school students for admission to post-secondary schools
- Knowledge of college entry and financial aid/scholarship process
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Master's degree in education, social work or counseling from accredited college or university preferred
- Experience advising and assisting students with college admissions and financial aid process
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting project participants
- Formal training and/or work experience in programming that improves secondary school retention/graduation rates