Education Advisor Hollywood FamilySource Center
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HOLLYWOOD FamilySource CENTER
A partnership with the City of Los Angeles, the Hollywood FamilySource Center has two primary goals: (1) increased family income; and (2) improved academic outcomes for students, to include completion of High School/GED, post-secondary education and English as a Second Language Certification (as appropriate).
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Hollywood FamilySource Center College Corner Staff works with students and their parents to develop a college plan, including course planning, tutoring/homework assistance, college prep (SAT/ACT workshops, college applications, personal statements, financial aid, etc.), college tours (within LA County and outside LA County), and FASFA assistance. The Education Advisor is the central point of contact to coordinate education assessment and academic assistance for assigned clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops an individualized education plan witheach participant
- Conduct interest assessments of participants, this includes, but is not limited to assessing level of ability, readiness for school, physical and mental capabilities of participants, educational background, skills and identification of challenges and barriers to further/complete education
- Write complete and detailed individualized plans outlining activities and resource referrals, with concise and clear goals to be tracked
- Coordinates educational assistance for each participant, locating resources to improve academic outcomes
- Provide education counseling and life skills coaching, towards improving academic attendance and outcomes, as outlined in participant education plan,
- Provide tutoring and homework assistance
- Provide college preparation assistance
- Provide soft skills training in areas of work / study habits
- Arrange campus tours at venues appropriate to participant interest and ability
- Meet regularly with program participants and parents, to ensure participant success
- Represent the interests of the agency, (Volunteers of America Greater Los Angeles) the program and its participants in all networking and public relations opportunities
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree, or a combination of education and relevant experience (four years’ total).
- One year of experience working in college placement, college preparation coaching, or as an instructor in a Technical or Vocational school setting
- Knowledge of local education resources
- Current California driver's license and clean driving record
- Microsoft operating systems including: Office, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
- Familiar with internet applications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skills in college placement; vocational school admissions
- Ability to coach life skills
- Ability to provide academic tutoring
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct presentations to groups
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.