Driver Long Beach ABC Year Round Shelter
Adult Services | Long Beach, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
LONG BEACH ABC SHELTER
The shelter will provide safe, low-barrier housing open to participants 24/7/365 to provide those who are homeless in Long Beach with a place where they can sleep safely, spend the day inside and be engaged by VOALA staff and partner providers to build rapport and progress towards housing stability.
The target population is adults who are homeless, including single adults and couples. The program will be available to serve diverse sub-populations, including LGBTQ, Veterans, individuals with physical disabilities, individuals with healthcare needs, individuals with behavioral health challenges, individuals with SUD challenges, chronically homeless individuals, and couples.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Driver performs scheduled delivery and pick-up routes, transports Program participants and staff as required, delivers meals to outlying programs and conducts donation collection as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Transports individual program participants to and from various locations such as human service locations, work sites, and medical facilities
- Assists passengers in securing wheelchairs, car seats and other mobility devices
- Ensures safety of passengers, operates vehicle in safe manner at all times
- Kitchen drop off for various inter-agency locations in a timely manner; assists kitchen staff with inventory and loading vehicle
- Perform scheduled routes for pick up and drop off
- Conducts donation pick up from outside agencies.
- Maintains trip records as well as mileage and gasoline usage records
- Maintain program vehicle in good operating condition, clean vehicle and equipment after each pick-up and delivery, and takes vehicle for routine maintenance and repairs
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Current California driver's license and clean driving record
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as delivery or passenger driver.
- Knowledge of CA driving laws
- Basic Microsoft Office suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must be able to work effectively with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift a minimum of 25lbs on a regular basis and up to 50lbs as necessary.
- Must be professional and sociable with clients
- Client- focused, dependable, collaborative, prompt, positive mindset, flexible, and organized
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Food handler certification
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.