Driver Lancaster Shelter
Adult Services | Lancaster, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Driver performs scheduled delivery and pick-up routes, transports Program participants and staff as required, delivers meals to outlying programs and conducts donation collection as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Transports individual program participants to and from various locations such as human service locations, work sites, and medical facilities
- Assists passengers in securing wheelchairs, car seats and other mobility devices
- Ensures safety of passengers, operates vehicle in safe manner at all times
- Kitchen drop off for various inter-agency locations in a timely manner; assists kitchen staff with inventory and loading vehicle
- Perform scheduled routes for pick up and drop off
- Conducts donation pick up from outside agencies.
- Maintains trip records as well as mileage and gasoline usage records
- Maintain program vehicle in good operating condition, clean vehicle and equipment after each pick-up and delivery, and takes vehicle for routine maintenance and repairs
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Current and valid California driver’s license
- Clean driving record
- One year of experience as a delivery driver or passenger driver
- California driving laws
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must be able to work effectively with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift a minimum of 25lbs on a regular basis and up to 50lbs as necessary.
- Must be professional and sociable with clients
- Client-focused, dependable, collaborative, prompt, positive mindset, flexible, and organized
- High School diploma or GED
- First Aid/CPR certified
- Food handler certification
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.