Driver Cook Long Beach
Adult Services | Long Beach, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Driver/Cook shall prepare and package meals for delivery to the designated program sites. When not delivering meals, the Driver/Cook shall assist in food preparation as needed for on-site meals, assist in kitchen sanitation, and perform inventory tasks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver packaged meals to remote program sites across Los Angeles County.
- Assembly, packing and proper placement and care of meals including ensuring appropriate temperature levels of meals when distributed to sites across Los Angeles County
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly, organize and keep record of food service items at each distribution site.
- Maintains all indoor and outdoor delivery equipment in a safe and attractive condition, cleaning and repairing as needed.
- Maintain program vehicle in good operating condition, clean vehicle and equipment after each delivery
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, for on-premises dining and delivery to remote sites.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning;
- monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring;
- regulate cooking temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- properly package meals for delivery as required.
- Perform regular kitchen and storage area clean up: sweep/mop floors, wash/scrub sinks, ovens, stove and grill. Maintain highest levels of sanitation as required by local and government regulations.
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- On-time receiving, transferring, and organizing food supplies as delivered to kitchen facility
- Assist nutrition staff with various production needs, perform other related duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Proof at the time of hire:
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- California Food Handler certification. (Must obtain within 90 days of hire)
- California Driver’s license in good standing, good driving record and insurance in force.
- Six Months experience as a food service worker, in catering or food preparation, and
- Six Months experience as a delivery driver
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Knowledge of proper safe food preparation
- Knowledge of CA driving laws.
- Basic Microsoft Office suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must be able to work effectively with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift a minimum of 25lbs on a regular basis and up to 50lbs as necessary.
- Requires ability to interact with children in a busy environment.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- First Aid/CPR certification.
- Certifications in public health, Nutrition, Food safety, or related field.
- Work experience in food industry.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or other language
- Knowledge of nutritional practices and principles
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.