Custodian - (The Billets Safe Haven)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
- Maintains cleanliness of cottages and public spaces and/or as assigned for the purpose of providing an effective working/learning environment that adheres to CCL requirements, prevents potential damage and reduces liability exposure.
- Conducts regular inspections of the facilities and grounds to identify repair and construction needs; reports recommendations to Program Manager for review by VOALA maintenance management
- May assist monitor staff in responding to emergencies by contacting police, hospital, and program manager
- May perform minor repairs to facility as supervised by VOALA maintenance management
- Schedules and performs regular deep cleaning projects
- High school diploma or GED
- 1 – 2 years of work responsibilities that include routine custodial and minor repair responsibilities; formal apprenticeship or training in semi-skilled building maintenance preferred
- 1 year experience in mental health, substance abuse treatment and/or homelessness
- 1 year of experience in residential treatment setting preferred
- Experience with Veterans preferred
- If a recovering alcohol and/or drug user, must have at least 1 year of continuous sobriety
- Experience with administering prescription medications and drug/alcohol usage testing desirable
- Respectful methods for reminding veterans about expectations and rules without engaging in argumentative behavior.
- Performs additional duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring efficiency and effective functioning of cottage units
- Must have valid California driver's license and have clean driving record to be insured by VOALA insurance