Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
SOUTH LA WOMEN’S CENTER
The South LA Women’s Center provides a diverse group of services, including: same-sex homeless shelter, Comprehensive Case Management Services, Affordable Housing Assistance, Transitional Housing Programs, Permanent Housing Placements, JWCH Mobile Clinic, Department of Health Services, USC-HIV Study/Prevention.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Custodian performs daily janitorial duties, and immediate minor repairs to the facility, reporting any maintenance or safety deficiency to management for correction. Performs all tasks needed to maintain cleanliness, sanitation and safety of the facility, adhering to janitorial schedules provided
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains the interior and exterior of the facility, including building, parking lot and grounds, in good condition
- Daily cleaning of assigned areas using various cleaning products.
- Restock bathrooms
- Responsible for dusting, window cleaning, waste cans, and vacuuming lobby area and hallways.
- Performs or assists in minor repairs that might include the following: Carpentry, Plumbing, Interior painting, Refurbishing and cleaning, Landscape and irrigation systems.
- Follows daily checklist provided by supervisor; Assures tools and supplies are stocked and appropriately secured in store rooms; maintains cleanliness and order of store rooms
- Checks facility daily for any safety concerns; understands local and building safety codes and requirements as well as OSHA, health department and EPA requirements; reports all deficiencies to management
- Prepares and sets-up rooms for meetings, classes and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Experience cleaning high foot traffic areas and bathrooms, or similar building maintenance experience
- Must be able to understand how to safely work with caustic chemicals and cleaning materials
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must have valid California driver's license and have clean driving record to be insured by VOALA insurance
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate)
- Custodial or building maintenance experience in a shelter or a school setting preferred
- Ability to read and write instructions in English preferred
- Background in construction trades a plus
- Proven familiarity with homelessness and related issues a plus
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.