Custodian Shelter TEMPORARY
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time and Temporary
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Temporary Shelter Custodian performs daily janitorial duties, and immediate minor repairs to the facility, focused on ensuring the premises are disinfected regularly to prevent contagion during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Reports any maintenance or safety deficiency to management for correction. Ensures common areas are disinfected, and works to maintain proper social distance at the assigned workplace. Follows “Interim Guidance for Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection for U.S. Households with Suspected or Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019.” Center for Disease Control https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/cleaning-disinfection.html
This includes focusing on cleaning and disinfecting common areas where staff/others providing services may come into contact with ill persons, but reducing cleaning and disinfection of bedrooms/bathrooms used by ill persons to as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform daily janitorial work, checking facility for health, maintenance or safety issues
- Disinfects common and working spaces on a regular basis and as needed to prevent contagion
- Performs minor repairs, reports deficiencies to Management
- Assists maintenance team
- Keeps inventory of tools and supplies current
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Valid California driver’s license, acceptable proof of automobile insurance, and/or reliable mode of transportation
- High School diploma or GED
- Six months of experience as a custodian, or similar building maintenance experience
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to follow verbal and written instruction regarding required level of sanitation/disinfection protocol of common spaces
- Demonstrate concern and respect for participants
- Be alert and ensure safety of staff and participants
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Must be able to work effectively with people from all walks of life with compassion
- Hold a California Driver’s license, with required insurance and a reliable vehicle
- Ability to read and write instructions in English
- Background in construction trades a plus
- Experience working with homelessness and related issues
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.