Custodian (Pathways to Home)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Pathways to Home is a 14-Hour Emergency Year-Round Shelter serving the homeless population in Los Angeles and South Los Angeles. This program provides temporary shelter, onsite case management, a computer center, and permanent housing referrals.
Performs all tasks needed to maintain cleanliness, sanitation and safety of the facility including, but not limited to:
- Cleaning windows, fixtures, railings, cots/beds, restrooms, doors and all public and office areas.
- Vacuuming, sweeping, moping and waxing floors; shampooing carpets; dusting and sanitizing desks and furniture
- Replacing light bulbs and emptying trash receptacles
- Prepares and sets-up rooms for meetings, classes and events
- Participates in weekly facility inspections and in completion of necessary documentation
- Understands local and building safety codes and requirements as well as OSHA, health department and EPA requirements; reports all deficiencies to shelter management
- Reports defects and damages to shelter management
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of 1 year of custodial experience
Must be able to perform physical activities including, but not limited to:
- Lifting up to 50 lbs on a regular basis without assitance
- Bending, standing, climbing and walking continually
- Working with noise and dust
- Works in inclement weather conditions
- Must be able to understand how to safely work with caustic chemicals and cleaning materials
- Ability to read and write instructions in English preferred
- Custodial or building maintenance in a school setting preferred
- Background in construction trades a plus
- Proven familiarity with homelessness and related issues a plus