Custodian - (Pathways to Home)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Pathways to Home residents begin a journey toward a permanent, sustainable housing situation from the moment they walk through the door. Each resident has an action plan and the support services they need to find work, get access to benefits they may be eligible for, get access to healthcare and ultimately get access to long term housing.
- Maintains the interior and exterior of all buildings, parking lots and grounds in good condition
- Performs custodial duties to assure that centers are clean and sanitary adhering to janitorial schedules as provided by VOALA
- Performs or assists in executions of minor repairs that might include the following: Carpentry, Plumbing, Interior painting, Refurbishing and cleaning, Landscape and irrigation systems.
- Follows daily maintenance checklist provided by supervisor; Assures tools and supplies are stocked and appropriately secured in vehicles as well as in maintenance store rooms; maintains cleanliness and order of store rooms
- Checks center daily for any safety concerns; understands and carries out VOALA, federal and other governmental regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- Must have basic building maintenance skills and 2 years of general maintenance experience
- Must be able to perform physical activities including, but not limited to:
- Lifting up to 50 lbs on a regular basis without assistance
- Bending, standing, climbing and walking continually
- Working with noise and dust
- Works in inclement weather conditions
- Must be able to understand how to safely work with caustic chemicals and cleaning materials
- Ability to read and write instructions in English preferred
- Custodial or building maintenance in a school setting preferred
- Background in construction trades a plus
- Proven familiarity with homelessness and related issues a plus
- Must have valid California driver's license and have clean driving record to be insured by VOALA insurance