Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time | From $18.63 to $19.61 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Courier is responsible for performing scheduled and unscheduled courier services, including but not limited to, carrying articles, pick-up and delivery of packages, donations, documents, and other items as necessary. Sorting, delivering, picking up mail, and other duties as directed. Couriers provide a vital service by delivering parcels in a timely and safe manner, always traveling with care and obeying all traffic laws.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive company vehicles in to deliver messages or materials, on a regular schedule, and as needed
- Load vehicles with listed goods, ensuring goods are loaded correctly and taking precautions with hazardous or fragile goods
- For all messages or materials to be delivered, record information on recipients: names, addresses, telephone numbers, and delivery instructions (communicated via telephone, or in person)
- Unload and sort items collected and deliver according to delivery routes, keep record of each delivery
- Plan and follow the most efficient routes for delivering goods
- Maintain company vehicle in good operating condition by performing routine preventative maintenance; do regular visual checks and limited function checks such as working operating and signal lights, checking tire pressure, monitor fluid levels and replenishing fuel
- Clean vehicle and equipment after deliveries
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Proof at the time of hire:
- TB clearance within 6 months prior
- Annual Influenza vaccination (between Aug 1 – Dec 1)
- Pertussis (whooping cough) and measles immunization
- Health screening at the time of employment
- Pass Background check .
- California Driver’s license in good standing, good driving record and insurance in force.
- Two years related work experience as driver, messenger, or courier
- Knowledge of CA driving laws.
- Familiar with Los Angeles and Orange County freeways
- Basic Microsoft Office suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- High School Diploma or GED
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.