Cook - Pomona Hope for Homes Services Center
Adult Services | Pomona, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning; monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring; regulate temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly
- Ensure kitchen area(s) are clean at all times; sweep/mop floors, wash/scrub sinks, ovens, stove and grill
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, and work nights, weekends and some holidays
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 - 4 years of experience as a cook
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Proven familiarity with homelessness and related issues a plus
- Valid California driver's license, insurance and reliable transportation
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- Formerly homeless Pomona residents preferred