Cook Lead Hope for Home Pomona
Adult Services | Pomona, CA | Full Time | From $20.08 to $21.13 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HOPE FOR HOME
Hope for Home is a 90-day Housing First Model Program. Hope for Home provides a full continuum of care which includes partnerships to assist participants in the areas of physical health, mental health, substance use disorder, and employment services with the goal of permanent housing within 90 days or less.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Each Lead Cook shall supervise the preparation of meals to be consumed on premises, and for delivery to other programs, as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, for on-premises dining and delivery to remote sites.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning;
- monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring;
- regulate cooking temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- properly package meals for delivery as required.
- Ensure that menu plans and inventory utilized are being followed completely and accurately (i.e.: amounts and inventory rotation) by staff.
- Provides training and direction to Food Services and Program Staff as appropriate:
- Training on policies and procedures to ensure safety of participants, co-workers, guests, and property
- Training of Food Services staff to ensure smooth kitchen operations
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly
- Perform regular kitchen and storage area clean up: sweep/mop floors, wash/scrub sinks, ovens, stove and grill. Maintain highest levels of sanitation as required by local and government regulations.
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- Provide exceptional customer service through quality participant engagement
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Active Food Handlers Permit
- 3 years of progressively more responsible Food Service experience
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Internet Navigation
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing duties
- Conflict Resolution Ability
- Able to lead the work of team members and train team on proper procedures
- Able to instruct entry level food service workers as well as experienced Cooks
- Able to instruct on safe and sanitary kitchen operations
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Team Player – committed to excellence in food preparation, sanitation and safety
- Culinary Arts Degree or certificate Safe-serve certifications
- Catering/food delivery experience preferred
- Incident reporting
- Proper knife skills
- Kitchen safety protocols
- Basic first aid
- Inventory management
- Menu planning
- Familiarity with automated dietary information systems for tracking menu and inventory
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.