Cook 18th Street Kitchen
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Each Cook shall prepare meals for the homeless shelter, and for delivery to other programs, as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare, cook and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, for on-premises dining and delivery to remote sites.
- Prepare raw food for cooking by washing, peeling, cutting and seasoning;
- monitor food during cooking process including testing, turning and/or stirring;
- regulate cooking temperatures of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters, etc.
- properly package meals for delivery as required.
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food properly
- Perform regular kitchen and storage area clean up: sweep/mop floors, wash/scrub sinks, ovens, stove and grill. Maintain highest levels of sanitation as required by local and government regulations.
- Maintain safe environment at all times in accordance with industry standards and safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 2-Years as a Cook
- Knowledgeable of the State of California health code policies and procedures
- Training in foods, nutrition, dietetics, and/or food preparation
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Internet Navigation
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Team Player – committed to excellence in food preparation, sanitation and safety
- Culinary Arts Degree or certificate
- Familiarity with automated dietary information systems for tracking menu and inventory
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.