Construction Program Supervisor YouthBuild
Adult Services | Anaheim, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The VOALA YouthBuild program will provide education, occupational skills training, and employment services to youth participants in Anaheim to help them reach key educational and career milestones. The program will equip youth participants to become successful in the workforce and be engaged in their communities.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Construction Program Supervisor provides experience-based competencies, administrative guidance and worksite supervision to further the YouthBuild grant mission. Provides training and oversight for youth participants while they perform construction activities. This will include maintaining safe worksites for the participants during construction/rehabilitation activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Achieve grant objectives through coordinating the YouthBuild staff efforts by providing team leadership and construction expertise, designing and executing instruction to the participants, ensuring worksite safety, and implementing Quality Assurance systems.
- Regularly update the Program Manager, highlighting progress in reaching goals.
- Design construction/rehabilitation projects appropriate for the training of youth participants; assesses literacy levels and working abilities of participants to tailor effective instruction.
- Coordinate day-to-day operations of YouthBuild staff and participants at the worksites, providing construction instruction and ensuring worksite safety.
- Conducts weekly meetings with Program Manager, construction site representatives, and referral sources, detailing progress on projects and progress in the participants’ training
- Monitor program compliance to VOALA policies and required procedures; maintains documentation of all program procedures, adhering to student privacy regulations
- Assist Program Manager with implementing policies, procedures and forms that facilitate the effective operation of construction training program; train and mentor staff
- Coordinate outreach and collaboration efforts with community partners and other VOALA programs
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Multi-Craft Core Curriculum (MC3) Certified
- Minimum five years of hands-on construction experience
- Minimum of two years construction supervision experience
- Minimum of one year of experience instructing construction
- Has strong knowledge of building codes and quality aspects of building maintenance/construction/rehabilitation
- Strong understanding of all areas of property and building construction and repair
- Strong knowledge of instruction tools, equipment and materials
- Strong knowledge of safety regulations (OSHA 10)
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Basic understanding of internet applications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to plan and execute a complete project with limited input
- Strong oral and written communication skills, able to draft clear written instructions, work orders, inspection reports, and other reports as needed
- Able to lead YouthBuild Staff while training participants
- Ability to proficiently use an extensive range of construction tools and equipment
- Ability to consistently perform tasks with quality consistent with experience and skills, in a professional and timely manner
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Able to meet established deadlines.
- Strong ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks
- Creative, collaborative, positive mindset, organized, detail oriented, and flexible. Problem solver.
- Build rapport with those encountered in all aspects the work day
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Apply principles of client-centered, strength-based counselling (including the principles of the recovery model and trauma-informed practice)
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for clients
- Apply principles of professional boundaries and ethics to on the job situations
- Able to de-escalate threatening/volatile situations with clients, or in the workplace
- Contractor’s License
- Forklift Certified
- CPR Certified
- 10 years of construction experience including project management experience
- Knowledgeable on unit renovation
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.