Community Support Case Manager
Health Support Services | Compton, CA | Full Time | From $19.72 to $20.76 per hour
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Community Support Case Manager-The Community Support Case Manager will work with the Housing Navigator and the Housing Tenancy and Sustaining Services Specialists by conducting and providing housing assessment and care planning to address barriers to attaining and sustaining permanent housing.
- Secure required documentation (e.g., Social Security card, birth certificate, prior rental history) needed for benefits and housing application.
- Develop an individualized housing support plan based upon the housing assessment that addresses barriers and includes measurable goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts comprehensive screenings and assessments with individuals (or families) to collect functional, environmental, psycho-social, financial, employment, housing, educational, and health information, as appropriate
- Assess barriers facing the clients and develop a case plan.
- Coordinate individualized planning with clients to meet short- and long-term needs.
- Provide service linkages and support systems to ensure identified needs are met.
- Coordinates case conferences with residents, consults with service team, monitors progress of clients on case plan, assists clients to meet the agreed upon goals.
- Acts as advocate for client before judicial, community, social service, and administrative bodies as needed; facilitates support groups and client participation as appropriate.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Associate’s Degree, (in a Social Services related discipline)
- OR A combination of education and relevant experience (two years’ total).
- No prior experience required with a relevant Bachelor’s degree
- Otherwise, a Minimum 1-year general experience in case management in addition to the education requirement – ie: a candidate without a degree would require two years of experience in the field plus one year as a case manager or similar job experience
- Case Management ethics, HIPAA, Programmatic standards of operation and clinical engagement, clinical documentation methods, client focused ideology
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English language.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Build rapport with those encountered in all aspects the work day.
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Learn and apply principles of client-centered, strength-based counselling (including the principles of the recovery model and trauma-informed practice)
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for clients.
- Apply principles of professional boundaries and ethics to on the job situations
- Able to de-escalate threatening/volatile situations with clients, or in the workplace
- Bachelor’s Degree (Social Work, Social Services, public administration, public health or related field)
- 1 year of experience working with target population
- HMIS navigation
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.