Community Property Manager
Maintenance and Grounds | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Ballington Plaza is a low-income housing development that provides an oasis in an otherwise difficult part of town - Skid Row. This secure, guarded apartment complex is home to hundreds of veterans and other formerly homeless residents.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Responsible for the overall operation of the property, the Community Property Manager must, first and foremost, be sensitive to the needs and particular lifestyle challenges of the Ballington Plaza community and be able to communicate effectively with people from all walks of life. This position requires the ability to work flexible hours.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee work performed by all staff at the location, including administrative and maintenance; Supervise and manage staff assigned to this location.
- Coordinate selection of outside contractors and vendors as well as oversee all project work by contractors and vendors.
- Coordinate purchases and processing of purchase orders
- Oversee operation of contracted security staff.
- Investigate and document all complaints and reported incidents
- Maintain all tenant files
- Initiate, coordinate and process eviction proceedings
- Maintain all rent collection and processing
- Maintain resident relations and conflict resolution
- Review new applicants
- Authorize all move in and move out procedures
- Coordinate all property capital improvement projects
- Coordinate with corporate accountants on fiscal budgets and expenses
- Maintain work and document flow between property and corporate personnel
- Maintain daily property inspection and reports
- Coordinate and oversee compliance with various property funding sources
- Coordinate positive and productive associations with surrounding business community
- Liaise with the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles related to Section 8 units
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Associates Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (2 years of relevant experience providing service to homeless/property management).
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a property manager with supervisory experience guiding and overseeing staff.
- Knowledgeable of Section 8 procedures, requirements of funding sources
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser; Working knowledge of YARDI software.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate, conflict resolution.
- Experience with Housing Authority procedures and documentation a plus.
- Current California driver's license and clean driving record
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.