Community Intervention Worker - Temporary - (GRYD)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Temporary
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
24 - Hour incident response coverage in and around the GRYD Zone in an effort to reduce gang violence and engage families impacted by gang violence
Temporary position starting on 6/17/19 and ends on 8/31/19
- Serves and engages gang-involved youth or young adults, ages of 14 to 25 years in a GRYD Zone.
- Work at a local park to serve all community members.
- Work with prevention
- Create pro social activities.
- Strategically plan and work with community to decrease and eliminate gang activity and violence.
- Maintain triangle of protocol with LAPD, and GRYD Office.
- Defuse incidents, rumor control and reduce gang retaliation.
- Submit detailed reports on incidents in the park.
- Submit weekly area reports, daily logs and graffiti removals.
- Plans strategies to engage local gangs/crews proactively maintain peace via safe passages, and activities
- Work with law enforcement to create peace in the community.
- Assists with safe passages for youth and families within the community.
- Participate in planning, meetings and work at Summer Night Lights (SNL) and FFN sites.
- Build a relationship with all ethnicities, genders.
- Work with multiple gangs in the area.
- Work late, weekends and holidays (flexible schedule)
- Facilitate workshops Ex. life skills, substance abuse, etc.
- Do street outreach and pass out literature and services.
- Create monthly calendar of activities.
- Create monthly community engagement, parent and client activities.
- Attend meetings.
- Adapt to new and changing situations in program.
- Manage time very well.
- Support all staff in community and in-house activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3 years' experience working with At-risk families/individuals or gang population
- Proven ability to interact positively with diverse groups of client population with varying education and economic backgrounds particularly gang affiliated individuals
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation
- Able to have integrity and work independently without supervision
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel; database experience strongly preferred
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- LAVITA certification preferred but not required
- Trained on the GRYD Model of practice and the efforts to Outcome Database