College Ambassador Part Time Hollywood FamilySource
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
HOLLYWOOD FAMILYSOURCE CENTER
A partnership with the City of Los Angeles, the Hollywood FamilySource Center has two primary goals: (1) increased family income; and (2) improved academic outcomes for students, to include completion of High School/GED, post-secondary education and English as a Second Language Certification (as appropriate).
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Hollywood FamilySource Center College Corner Staff works with students and their parents to develop a college plan, including course planning, tutoring/homework assistance, college prep (SAT/ACT workshops, college applications, personal statements, financial aid, etc.), college tours (within LA County and outside LA County), and FASFA assistance. The College Ambassador is a current college student that can share education experiences and guide students in understanding and navigating the higher education system, and education venues in Los Angeles
The College Ambassador will also help develop and implement enrichment activities to enhance the participant's academic and social development. Other assistance might include; creating engagement activities and leading college preparatory workshops.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mentor students about the college experience
- Present and lead workshops on topics around college/careers/financial literacy/leadership development as needed
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Current college freshman or higher
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
- 1 year of mentoring experience
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of college resources in the community
- Excellent Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively mentor students and track academic progress
- Ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Ability to be flexible in working during the required schedule
- Ability to mentor high school students to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Build rapport with students in all aspects
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for students transiting from High School to College
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the students
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.