Clinical Director -Central City Recovery Residential
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Under the joint supervision of the Chief Executive Director and Medical Director, the Clinical Director will plan, direct and supervise the delivery of clinical substance abuse treatment in accordance with the DMC-ODS Waiver, Title XXII and other federal, state, and local regulations and contracts. The Clinical Director provides clinical supervision and direction to the licensed and unlicensed practitioners registered with the BBS of the healing arts working in all programs clinics and ensures fidelity to evidenced-best practices and continuous quality improvement through the effective delivery of all substance use disorder and mental health services. In collaboration with the Medical Director, other Clinical Director, the Clinical Director ensures that all patients are assessed and placed at the appropriate level of card based on DSM 5 diagnosis and medical necessity for treatment. The employee exercises independent judgment and discretion.
- Supervises the designated licensed and/or registered therapists, social workers and other master’s prepared clinical staff
- Implements and communicates employee performance standards in accordance with the organization policy and procedures and DMC-ODS Waiver, Title XXII and CARF standards
- Ensures that the program approach is trauma-informed and strength-based by monitoring and participating in activities and by maintaining emotional and physical safety of the staff and clients.
- Evaluates the quality of services provided compared to clinical best practice guidelines.
- Processes, analyzes and reviews critical Incidents involving program participants.
- Plans and provides training on relevant topics to clinicians, consumers and organization staff.
- Leads or participates in workgroups to improve clinical services or processes
- Schedules and participate in supervision meetings with assigned clinical staff to discuss and review assessments and individualized treatment plans and pressing concerns which can include workplace safety suggestions
- Supervises service delivery to program participants, may occasionally perform any or all the duties of a clinical staff member including assessments, individual counseling, group counseling, and other therapeutic activities and their documentation.
- Works closely with the Clinical Staff including AOD counselors to evaluate assessment of level of care, progress of clients and consult on treatment and plan of care.
- Institutes a case conference process and attends as needed to ensure continuous evaluation of client’s treatment plan, progress, level of care and continuing care plan.
- Responsible for conducting regular chart reviews that clinical staff completes in a timely and accurate manner client notes, charts, reports, and other documentation related to the progress of clients in the program in accordance with Title XXII and CARF standards.
- Maintains the dignity and personal rights of all clients as highlighted by deploying clear and skilled crisis communication, evasion techniques when participants display hostile or volatile behaviors.
- Develops positive workplace relationships with staff and peers by offering appropriate support while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Adheres to the professional ethics and conduct of conduct standards as established by professional licensure, the policies of the organization, legal, funding and regulatory requirements.
- Attends all required training sessions in accordance with the organization, state licensing, and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains licensure, registration, or certification as a condition of employment
- Master of Science or Master of Arts Degree in Human Services, Social Work or Psychology
- California State licensure as an LCSW or Psychologist
- Three years of experience working with the service population
- Two years of management or supervisory experience overseeing clinical staff
- Minimum of two years’ experience in managed care service delivery, quality assurance and utilization management
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of substance use disorder and mental health disorder treatment and recovery
- Demonstrated understanding of the clinical application of the principles of engagement, empowerment, rehabilitation, recovery, and de-escalation techniques
- Ability to effectively communicate with appropriate documentation skills to complete reports, utilize data and communicate ideas constructively
- Ability to establish and consistently implement appropriate boundaries with staff and patients of the organization. management, and application of DSM 5 methodology;
- Strong crisis management, conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
- Must show aptitude for developing and working as part of a team
- Computer literate; demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and web-based applications and demonstrated ability to utilize an electronic clinical management system and be electronic health record efficient
- Skills in diagnosis, assessment, treatment planning, case management, and applications of DSM 5 methodology
- Ability to demonstrate cultural competency and sensitivity
- Knowledge of the CA behavioral health system and Medi-Cal delivery system, utilization and claims processed.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in residential, field based and outpatient SUD treatment services
- Successful completion of tuberculosis and background screening
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain accurate records and present data contained in those records in a timely manner
- Competent user of all MS Office Suite applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)