Clinical Counselor Sanctuary Human Trafficking Victim Assistance
Adult Services | Wilmington, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Clinical Counselor will work in conjunction with the Program Manager and other program staff to provide clinical counseling and crisis intervention to survivors of human trafficking in a comprehensive wrap-around case management approach utilizing a trauma-informed, strengths-based, culturally sensitive and survivor-centered model. Priority for this position will be given to hiring a survivor of human trafficking. The Clinical Counselor provides the full range of services available, as described below:
- Establish trust and rapport using a trauma-informed care model for survivors of human trafficking, ensuring confidentiality and protection of identity within confines of the law
- Assist Case Managers in providing crisis counseling/stabilization, needs assessments and developing Individual Service Plans for human trafficking survivors
- Conduct individual and group clinical counseling with survivors, as indicated in their ISPs, incorporating the following Evidence-Based Practices: Trauma-Informed Care, Positive Youth Development, Ending the Game, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Seeking Safety, and Harm Reduction
- Conduct individual and group clinical counseling with children of survivors, as needed
- Provide active support and advocacy to ensure supportive services for victims and their children are secured, as indicated in the ISPs
- Actively manage case files and daily progress notes per VOALA and Cal OES protocol
- Actively participate in care coordination teams to ensure an intensive wrap-around approach to service delivery, including aftercare, for survivors
- Participate and assist with community awareness events, including providing survivor awareness and identification training to law enforcement, FBOs and CBOs
- Maintain and build partnerships and coalitions with other community and government agencies providing relief to human trafficking survivors
- Participate with other staff on a rotating schedule to provide an immediate, sensitive response for survivors on a 24/7 basis, including coordination with law enforcement
- Actively participate in weekly supervision with Program Manager to process transference and counter transference issues that may arise as a result of service delivery
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Master's Degree in social work, psychology, counseling or marriage and family therapy from fully-accredited college or university.
- Minimum total 3 years of clinical experience working with survivors of sexual abuse, domestic violence, and/or human trafficking
- Knowledge of evidence-based, psychosocial treatment modalities, especially cognitive behavioral therapy, positive youth development, dialectical behavior therapy, motivational interviewing, relapse prevention.
- Knowledge of treatment plan design and case management.
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, including Outlook, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; familiar with Database use/entry.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to develop relationships with homeless youth, their families, and landlords, as well as a variety of service stakeholders (schools, health and public benefit agencies).
- Demonstrated ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with uncooperative clients.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English language.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation preferred. Must be willing to travel/drive company vehicle through Los Angeles County.
- Build trust, act trustworthy.
- Active listening (reflective listening).
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures.
- Apply principles of client-centered, strength-based counselling (including the principles of the recovery model and trauma-informed practice).
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for clients.
- Apply principles of professional boundaries and ethics to on the job situations.
- Able to deescalate threatening/volatile situations with clients, or in the workplace.
- Active LSW, MFT, AFT or SUDCC Level III certificates.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.