Clinical Counselor - Cal-OES Housing Program
Adult Services | Wilmington, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
The Clinical Counselor will work in conjunction with the Program Manager and other program staff to provide clinical counseling and crisis intervention to survivors of human trafficking in a comprehensive wrap-around case management approach utilizing a trauma-informed, strengths-based, culturally sensitive and survivor-centered model. Priority for this position will be given to hiring a survivor of human trafficking.
- Establish trust and rapport using a trauma-informed care model for survivors of human trafficking, ensuring confidentiality and protection of identity within confines of the law
- Assist Case Managers in providing crisis counseling/stabilization, needs assessments and developing Individual Service Plans for human trafficking survivors
- Conduct individual and group clinical counseling with survivors, as indicated in their ISPs, incorporating the following Evidence-Based Practices: Trauma-Informed Care, Positive Youth Development, Ending the Game, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Seeking Safety, and Harm Reduction
- Conduct individual and group clinical counseling with children of survivors, as needed
- Provide active support and advocacy to ensure supportive services for victims and their children are secured, as indicated in the ISPs
- Actively manage case files and daily progress notes per VOALA and Cal OES protocol
- Actively participate in care coordination teams to ensure an intensive wrap-around approach to service delivery, including aftercare, for survivors
- Participate and assist with community awareness events, including providing survivor awareness and identification training to law enforcement, FBOs and CBOs
- Maintain and build partnerships and coalitions with other community and government agencies providing relief to human trafficking survivors
- Participate with other staff on a rotating schedule to provide an immediate, sensitive response for survivors on a 24/7 basis, including coordination with law enforcement
- Actively participate in weekly supervision with Program Manager to process transference and counter transference issues that may arise as a result of service delivery
- Master's Degree in social work, psychology, counseling or marriage and family therapy from fully-accredited college or university. Licensed clinical counselor preferred
- Three years of clinical experience working with survivors of sexual abuse, domestic violence, and/or human trafficking, and in-depth knowledge of service delivery issues.
- Training as a Human Trafficking Caseworker pursuant to Evidence Code§ 1038.2.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work with people from various backgrounds and/or limited English capabilities
- Survivor of human trafficking preferred; Bilingual preferred (Spanish)
- Valid California driver's license, insurance and reliable transportation preferred