Your browser cookies must be enabled in order to apply for this job. Please contact if you need further instruction on how to do that.

Clinical Case Manager II (HUD-VASH Hawthorne)

Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time

Job Description

About Us:


Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories 

Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at


The Department of Housing and Urban Development – VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program is an effort between VOALA, HUD, and the VA to move Veterans and their families out of homelessness and into permanent housing. The program provides housing assistance through a special Section 8 voucher program to allow homeless veterans to rent privately-owned housing.

HUD-VASH also provides long–term case management, clinical/supportive services, and permanent housing assistance for chronically homeless Veterans. Combines Housing Choice Voucher assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.


Under supervision of licensed Program Manager, the Clinical Case Manager II:

  • Performs needs assessments with clients to determine housing stability barriers and develops housing stabilization plans with participants.
  • Works with participants that are experiencing a variety of psychiatric, medical and social problems by motivating behavioral changes among enrolled participants.
  • Conducts ongoing psychosocial assessments to determine needs of Veterans and family members and encourages active participation in the treatment planning process.
  • Conducts scheduled weekly home visits for each assigned participant; provides unscheduled visits for crisis intervention as required by critical incidents.
  • Other duties as assigned.



  • Valid California driver’s license, acceptable proof of automotive insurance, and/or access to reliable mode of transportation.
  • Must be able to pass background test.


  • Master’s degree in social work, psychology, or counseling from fully-accredited college or university.


  • Minimum of 5 years of experience in mental health/substance use disorder treatment and/or working with homelessness.


  • Proven working knowledge computers and Microsoft Office; Words, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Browsers.  


  • Effective written and oral communications skills.
  • Ability to work with people from various backgrounds and walks of life.


  • Dependable, client-focus, collaborative, prompt, positive mindset, flexible, and organized.

Preferred Qualifications:  

  • Master’s degree in Social Work.
  • Registered with the Board of Behavioral Sciences as an Associate Clinical Social Worker (ASW) or Marriage Family Therapist Intern (MFTI).
  • Coursework in substance use disorder counseling.
  • U.S. Armed Forces Veteran or experience working with U.S. Veterans.
  • At least 1 year in working in a residential treatment setting.
  • Basic knowledge of psychosocial treatment modalities, especially cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy skills training (DBT), motivational interviewing (MI), relapse prevention (RP), and Seeking Safety.
  • If recovering substance user, must have at least 3 years of sobriety.
  • Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).

Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law

This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.

If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.