Certified Nursing Assistant HomeKey
Adult Services | Hacienda Heights, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Hacienda Heights – HomeKey
Due to COVID-19, a need arose to quickly serve our at risk homeless neighbors. The Project HomeKey program provides housing for individuals and families experiencing homelessness or at risk of experiencing homelessness and who are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This program will interact with previous Project Roomkey clients.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) provides professional daily care services for this program. As a patient advocate, the CNA will also assist limited physical examinations, medication support, and work with the medical staff to care for the clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides daily care services including:
- Grooming and bathing patients with low mobility
- Preparing each room with necessary items like blankets, pillows, medical equipment and bathroom needs
- Helping patients eat and take medications, monitor self- medication
- Making sure they have regular meals and proper medication dosages
- Monitoring vitals and patient behavior and reporting them to the management.
- Assisting patients with mobility needs, transferring them from wheelchair to bed
- Turning or adjusting patients in bed to prevent bedsores or other discomfort
- Exercising patients by helping them walk
- Assists the health services plan for each client that includes a broad range of medical services including assisting clients with physical and emotional needs, under supervision.
- Participates in regular case review with program staff to ensure best quality care for clients, and continuous improvement of services.
- Other Tasks that may be required by the Program Manager
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Current and valid California Nursing Assistant Certification
- Valid Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
- Previous experience working in customer service roles or in a different role within a medical or patient care setting.
- In-depth understanding of patient care policies and regulations
- Knowledge of personal hygiene and proper use of personal protective equipment
- Knowledge of how to assist client hygiene
- Knowledge of taking and recording client vital signs (body temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure)
- Familiarity with symptoms and signs of improvement for a number of medical conditions
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA
- Microsoft operating system navigation: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Familiar with Electronic Health Records
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to administer tuberculosis (TB) skin test and providing results
- Excellent communication skills at level necessary for taking patients' medical histories, understanding provider and supervisor instructions, and for accurately documenting patients' medical information
- Ability to effectively communicate with patient population and staff will demonstrating a high degree of diplomacy and tact
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including customer service, patience, empathy and compassion
- Effective communication skills, including active listening, writing, speaking and reading comprehension
- Good collaboration and teamwork skills
- Fast and adaptive problem-solving abilities
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Keen attention to detail
- Comfortable working with specific populations of patients, including elderly patients and those with special needs
- Physical strength and stamina
- Experience with veterans, homeless, recovery, and/or justice involved population
- Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with mental health and substance use disorder
- Experience working with the homeless population
- Bilingual (English/Spanish – written and oral)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.