Case Manager Specialist Long Beach ABC Shelter
Adult Services | Long Beach, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
LONG BEACH ABC SHELTER
The shelter will provide safe, low-barrier housing open to participants 24/7/365 to provide those who are homeless in Long Beach with a place where they can sleep safely, spend the day inside and be engaged by VOALA staff and partner providers to build rapport and progress towards housing stability.
The target population is adults who are homeless, including single adults and couples. The program will be available to serve diverse sub-populations, including LGBTQ, Veterans, individuals with physical disabilities, individuals with healthcare needs, individuals with behavioral health challenges, individuals with SUD challenges, chronically homeless individuals, and couples.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Case Manager (Specialist) provides intensive case management services to eligible clients, meeting participants at least weekly. The Case Manager is the primary point of contact to coordinate services and care for assigned clients. Each Case Manager handles a caseload of individuals in need of a wide variety of human services resources and provides the full range of services available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts comprehensive screenings and assessments with individuals (or families) to collect functional, environmental, psycho-social, financial, employment, housing, educational, and health information, as appropriate, to develop a case plan.
- Provide service linkages and support systems to ensure identified needs are met.
- Coordinates individualized planning with clients to meet short- and long-term needs.
- Coordinates case conferences with residents; consults with service team.
- Facilitates groups and completes appropriate documentation on all aspects of resident case.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree (Social Work or related)
- Minimum 1 years of experience as a case manager
- Case Management ethics, HIPAA, Programmatic standards of operation and clinical engagement, clinical documentation methods, client focused ideology
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated understanding of special needs of target client.
- Demonstrated ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English language.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Build rapport with those encountered in all aspects the work day.
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Expertly apply principles of client-centered, strength-based counselling (including the principles of the recovery model and trauma-informed practice)
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for clients.
- Apply principles of professional boundaries and ethics to on the job situations
- Able to de-escalate threatening/volatile situations with clients, or in the workplace
- Counseling Certification
- 2 years of experience working with target population
- HMIS navigation
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.