Case Manager, Lead (SSVF – West Covina)
Adult Services | West Covina, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
SUPPORTIVE SERVICES FOR VETERAN FAMILIES
Our SSVF Program (Supportive Services for Veteran Families) provides temporary housing assistance in conjunction with comprehensive case management to veterans with families who are homeless or are facing a housing crisis.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Lead Case Manager will arrange, coordinate, monitor, mentor, and assure all delivered services by the case management team meet the needs of SSVF clients. This includes assisting case managers in: assessing and reassessing household needs, educating households on VA and community resource opportunities, developing housing stability plans, scheduling appointments, and providing necessary follow-up to ensure housing stability plans are progressing on schedule and needs are adequately being addressed. The position requires a combination of administrative/office duties and field/outreach work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assign and monitor case load of team:
- Review daily referrals and screenings of veteran families.
- Designates veteran households to case manager for intake and ensures all supporting documents are verified.
- Provides information and referrals for callers and walk-in veteran households
- Conducts comprehensive screenings and assessments with veterans to collect functional, environmental, financial, employment, housing, educational, and health information, as appropriate, to develop a case plan.
- Develops support systems to meet veteran and family needs; coordinates and facilitates move-in activities, rental negotiations, and service referrals as required.
- May make home and field visits.
- Monitors case managers on a regular basis to determine quality and effectiveness of services provided.
- Review cases with Program Coordinator and Case Management Team.
- Audit case file on a regular basis for completeness and accuracy.
- Conducts crisis intervention as necessary.
- Assists case managers by identifying and coordinating a variety of available services necessary for veterans and families to maintain/obtain self-sufficiency and family stabilization.
- Refers veteran households to available VA/community providers for therapeutic, social, educational, and medical resources.
- Provides support to case managers and veteran households through ongoing case conferencing, counseling, and advocacy.
- Conducts comprehensive file reviews and assessment of data collected to assure all necessary documentation is collected by case managers for SSVF services eligibility purposes.
- Assure all SSVF assets and file documents are maintained and secure for all veteran households.
- Develops, performs, and assists with workshops pertaining to veteran households’ needs.
- Participates and assists with outreach events.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions are those key requirements, specific tasks, and job duties of the position that are required on a regular basis (using action words such as perform, responsible for, deliver, develop, etc.).
- Essential Function 1: Lead a team of Case Managers on their active case load through reviewing and discussing detailed plans of action to meet the clients needs, set goals and find the necessary resources to meet those goals.
- Essential Function 2: Responsible for intake, assessments, service planning and service delivery.
- Essential Function 3: Conducts hard and soft file management, HMIS, CM process flow, to ensure Client documentation meets all requirements for provision of services.
- Essential Function 4: Collaborate with other service providers to link participants to community resources and supportive services.
- Essential Function 5: Conducts weekly case conferencing and monthly case file audits to assure participant records are complete and accurate.
- Essential Function 6: Develops, performs, and assists with workshops pertaining to veteran households’ needs.
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time.
Formal education, diplomas, degrees, licenses and/or certifications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field.
Type and number of years of directly related work experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as a case manager.
- 2 years of experience in case management in the designated specialty (i.e., veterans, housing, benefits).
- Proven leadership qualities.
Principles or knowledge required for this position.
- Case Management ethics, HIPAA, Programmatic standards of operation and clinical engagement, clinical documentation methods, client focused ideology.
Skills required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, office, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
Skills and abilities required to meet the essential functions of the position – what one does.
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to develop a strong working relationship with service providers
- Effective written and oral communications skills
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Dependable, collaborative, prompt, positive mindset, flexible, organized.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field.
- Experience working with U.S Armed Forces Veterans or US Armed Forces veteran.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and verbal).
- HMIS navigation
- 3 years of experience in case management and working with target population.
- Experience in supervision or lead role.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.