Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
Job Summaries and Purpose
The hands-on HR Benefits Manager will analyze, design and administer employee benefits programs (such as medical, dental, life and disability insurance plans, 403(b), pensions – 401(a)) as well as Leave of Absence, Reasonable Accommodation, Workers Compensation, and the Wellness Program. The Manager will design new benefits programs or modify existing ones and implement these changes in order to ensure that the programs remain competitive. The Manager will supervise employees working in these areas as well as educating employees through VOALA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and direct implementation and administration of employee benefit programs such as health insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, worker’s compensation, employee assistance, retirement, and other plans
- Maintain due diligence while ensuring compliance with state and federal laws in all matters related to benefits
- Manages administration for Compensation Plans, including, overseeing procedures for transmitting demographic and contribution files to vendor and transmitting payroll contributions and employer discretionary contributions, as applicable.
- Oversees the annual enrollment process and scheduled distributions. Is the subject matter expert on all retirement plans and primary point of contact for complex participant inquiries
- Lead and participate in the employee education effort and information distribution for benefits, pension, and retirement both during open-enrollment and throughout the year.
- Analyzes complex data and create reports for benefits monitoring, to identify and causes of personnel problems (including turnover), and other requested reports, in order to develop recommendations for improvement of organization’s personnel policies and practices.
- Work collaboratively across multiple office locations to ensure smooth delivery of employee benefits, and education regarding employee benefits. Monitor benefits program effectiveness, and make recommendations to Senior Manager
- Manage all leaves of absences (LOA), short term disability (STD), and workers’ compensation (WC) claims in addition to the ADA interactive process. Interprets and clarifies LOA policies to address inquiries from employees, managers and HRBP’s. Analyzes STD/FMLA claims to determine eligibility and certification in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Manages all aspects of the Worker’s Compensation claims from initial report of injury through investigation and coordination of benefits. Fulfills all documentation requirements to assure accurate claims management
- Works with injured employees and claims adjusters to assure quality treatment and effective return to work. Provides oversight for TPA with regards to WC and unemployment claims. Implements and oversees Workplace Injury Prevention Program
- Manages all aspects of the VOALA wellness program
- Review documentation to ensure it is complete and organized
- Continue to learn all aspects of Benefits Programs, and HRIS to grow professionally
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience (5 years of relevant experience with, or 8 years of experience)
- Minimum of 4 years of in-depth Human Resources experience in HRIS Analytics and Benefits (Health & Welfare, Worker’s Compensation, Pension/savings plans, Wellness) and LOA Administration including FMLA, PDL, ADA, and HIPAA
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in leading and/or managing the Benefits, LOA, Workers Compensation, and Wellness programs and the assigned staff
- Working knowledge of benefits analytics and administration, including FMLA, HIPAA, COBRA, LOA, interactive process.
- Working knowledge of FLSA regulations
- Strong computer skills: Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. Must be able to develop complex formulas, pivot tables and v-lookups in Excel
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical and math skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct presentations and training programs
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to research complex questions and develop effective solutions
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Proficient in understanding and communication of the spoken and written English language
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate, conflict resolution
Preferred Skills for this Position:
- Minimum two years’ professional level human resources experience in large complex organizations
- PHR, SHRM-CP, CCP, CBP or CEBS
- Demonstrated/working knowledge of California state and federal employment laws and regulations
- Experience with Ulti-Pro a plus
- Skilled in continuous improvement in work processes and systems