Human Resources | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Human Resources - Corporate
Serving those who serve others. The HR Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and perform monthly account analysis and maintain payment schedules.
- Perform monthly, or periodic, invoicing and census reporting to benefit plans. Assist with budgets, performance and regulatory reporting, and other projects as it relates to employee benefit costs and payroll related benefits and tracking of costs.
- Resolve claim, billing, and enrollment issues
- Run regular reports and audit data
- Run monthly benefit billing data, file feeds to vendors, including import of adjustments and error correction
- Work closely with Benefits Supervisor and the Leave of Absence Administrator to ensure timely and accurate billing notifications; may assist in LOA employee pay
- Complete and verify the monthly benefits accounting processes required to ensure adherence to internal controls and policies.
- Perform quality checks of benefits-related data.
- Interface with multiple internal business partners including with Corporate's Accounting, Payroll, and other HR team members and also external benefit vendors and partners
- Provides timely and accurate communications (orally and written) to employees regarding benefit payments and other benefit related matters
- Act as liaison between employee and insurance provider/3rd party benefits administrator, as necessary
- Problem solves and develops solutions to employee benefit issues
- Develops and implements communication templates and forms
- Assist the Benefits team by providing analytical support in the day-to-day administration of current employee benefit programs; develop expertise on those plans, including: medical, dental, life and disability insurance plans, COBRA, wellness, and other programs that may be initiated.
- Assists with researching plan and carrier information, providing benefits information and answering questions in a timely manner
- Assists annual Open Enrollment process and communications
- Assists in managing employee savings plans, health insurance and health care plans
- May conduct benefit orientation to new hires
- Work directly with Benefits Supervisor to ensure plans are in compliance with VOALA and IRS regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience (4 years of relevant experience / coursework)
- Minimum three years’ experience of general employee benefits administration
- Minimum of two years’ direct experience managing employee benefits payments and reconciliation
- Professional level HR Benefit experience in large complex organizations with high volume of complex benefits matters
- Good knowledge of California employment laws and requirements.
- Knowledgeable on US retirement, healthcare, and life/disability insurance benefits.
- Good knowledge of HR processes and procedures
- Strong computer skills: Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. Must be able to develop formulas, pivot tables and v-lookups in Excel
- Skilled user of Web-based applications and databases, specifically ATS and HRIS
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills; strong relationship building skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Confident public speaker, able to present information to employees during orientation, training, and open enrollment, clearly explaining rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Strong analytical and math skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Bachelors’ degree in related field strongly preferred
- PHR, SHRM-CP, CBP or CEBS
- WC and LOA experience strongly preferred.
- Open Enrollment experience preferred.
- Employee savings (403b/401k) plan administration experience strongly preferred
- Extensive knowledge of US employee benefits and applicable laws
- Familiarity with 5500 tax form filing is a plus
- Familiarity with 1095 filing is a plus
- Experience with Ulti-Pro a plus
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.