Assistant Operations Director of Housing
Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
VOALA Housing Programs funded by various sources provides individuals and families service and assistance, including: temporary rental assistance, intensive case management, and supportive services to assist chronically homeless individuals and families with multiple barriers to obtain sustainable housing.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Assistant Operations Director of Housing has oversight of housing programs funded by various sources. It will be the responsibility of the position to ensure funder compliance for all assign programs. Coordinates and supports cohesive operations of multiple housing service delivery programs including the responsibility of supervision of staff, compliance with federal, state, local, and agency requirements, record keeping of fiscal and participant data, and evaluation of the individual program objectives. The Assistant Operations Director of Housing will assist in the development of systems and procedures for the service area. In addition, participate in community outreach efforts as well as organization advocacy events. This position assists the oversight of multiple programs with participants who may have several complex co-morbidities that must be managed appropriately for a successful transition and re-entry into permanent housing, and advises the COO on appropriate policy and operations decisions. We provide services in some of the most diverse and challenging areas in Los Angeles and Orange Counties working with different funders at federal, state, county, city and private levels. This position will work in close collaboration with other program areas to ensure effective service delivery to all participants serve by other VOALA programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the COO, the Assistant Operations Director of Housing will:
- Provide leadership to all levels of staff to assure service delivery standards are met, advise COO on performance matters
- Senior advisor to COO, coordinates oversight of programs
- Mentors program leadership, communicating Director’s and VOALA policy
- Maintains awareness of overall employee complaints and the need to intervene should leadership or program issues be identified
- Oversees all leader development to ensure they are fully trained for leadership, HR matters, safety requirements and key program requirements
- Assists program audits, using experience to support continuous improvement
- Evaluate program effectiveness and make recommendations to the Supervisor and senior management of VOALA (CEO, COO, CFO, Senior Director of HR) for program changes and improvements
- Monitor program compliance to funding sources' regulations as well as internal policies and procedures
- Ensures achievement of contractual performance outcomes
- As appropriate, involved in funder calls and funder audits
- Oversees all budgets in programs to ensure programs are fiscally solvent and elevates situations of concern to Supervisor.
- Advises Director on program staffing, monitors staffing levels, is leader of recruitment and retention efforts
- Responsible to ensure all programs have current job openings posted and have a system for managing the recruitment of staff, working with the Supervisor on strategies.
- Responsible to ensure effective employee onboarding and induction process to increase employee retention
- Routine assesses staffing levels, position openings, and creates strategies to address program needs
- Responsible to ensure all staff have had career conversations to map and ensure employees are reclassified when it is appropriate based on experience and work performance
- Develops initiatives and systems to enhance communication, program effectiveness, and program compliance
- Ensures that all case management processes and documentation meet ongoing program requirements
- Oversees all facility issues, ensuring facilities are maintained
- Perform ongoing safety assessments for all locations to ensure effective safety programs are in place and followed
- Collaborate with all VOALA Housing programs to formulate plans for effective program activities
- Coordinates with Housing Development Director as new facilities are brought online, ensures smooth transition from acquisition/construction to full operations for new housing developments.
- Represent VOALA with legislators, funders and other collaboratives as appropriate and approved by VOALA Senior Leadership
- Other duties as directed by the Supervisor.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work, Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in the delivery of social services
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in program management with staff supervision, budget management, program development and evaluation responsibilities.
- Minimum 3 years of supervision and management of multiple programs
- Working experience with funder, regulatory, and/or licensing programs
- Strong knowledge of programmatic standards of operation, applicable federal, state, local, licensing rules and regulations.
- Strong knowledge of Housing programs, including VOALA facilities, housing placement and rental assistance
- Ability to oversee program audits and program oversight to ensure contractual compliance
- Ability to develop budgets and monitor expenditure.
- Ability to plan, hire, supervise and evaluate the work of others
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser, database.
- Understanding of client, program, or funder documentation software programs.
- Commitment to working in a paperless work environment, operating in database programs
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication
- Able to set priorities, handle multiple tasks, meet established deadlines
- Problem solving, decision making
- Interpret data, detail oriented, accurate, analytical, organized
- Systems thinking and committed to continuous process improvement
- Collaborative, servant leadership skills to foster employee engage and retention
- Ability to coach and mentor staff
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- leader, communicator, empathetic, compassionate, ability to delegate, mentorship skills, inclusive, effective stress management, leadership skills, conflict resolution/mediation.
- Master's Degree (Social Work. MBA, or related), LMFT, LCSW
- 3 years working with Homeless preferred
- 7 years of related social services experience at the service delivery level helpful
- Non-profit experience with grant management responsibility a plus
- Direct experience with homelessness, addictions, and/or prison re-entry programs a plus
- Experience with complex case management
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.