Assistant As Needed Temporary GRYD 77th Zone 3
Adult Services | Greater Los Angeles Area, CA | Part Time and Temporary
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
gang reduction and youth development
The GRYD Foundation is dedicated to strengthening and stabilizing communities that have been adversely affected by high incidents of violence, poverty and unemployment. The GRYD Foundation focuses on creating safe spaces and providing vital resources and platforms for community members to build trust and healthy relationships with each other and with law enforcement. VOALA provides Case Management and Community Intervention Worker services to the following GRYD locations established by the City of Los Angeles:
- Rampart 2
- Newton 1
- Newton 2
- Southwest 2
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The GRYD Assistant works to minimize acts of gang violence and to improve community relations. The position provides incident response and delivers Transitional Client Services. GRYD Assistants have strong ties to the local community and existing relationships, being familiar with the gang culture of the target community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- ASSESSMENT/CASE PLANNING: working with Case Managers, delivers Transitional Client Services.
- Serves and engages gang-involved youth or young adults, ages of 14 to 25 years in a GRYD Zone
- Conducts fieldwork with clients to ensure connection with WorkSource, YouthSource and FamilySource services
- Follow all phases of case management, applying Social Embededness Tool (SET), data entry into Entry to Outcomes (ETO) on client activities and progress
- Meet weekly with Case Managers
- Works with community to decrease and eliminate gang activity and violence
- Plans strategies to engage local gangs/crews proactively maintain peace via safe passages, and activities
- Work with Law enforcement to create peace in the community
- Transport clients as needed
- Maintain triangle of protocol with LAPD, and GRYD Office
- Participate in 24/7 incident response coverage in assigned GRYD zone.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- 3 years' experience working with At-risk families/individuals or gang population
- Proven ability to interact positively with diverse groups of client population with varying education and economic backgrounds particularly gang affiliated individuals
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform under circumstances of possible emotional stress and conflict, including dealing with un-cooperative clients.
- Ability to work a regular schedule provided by your direct supervisor.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance and reliable transportation
- Build a relationship with all ethnicities, genders, etc.
- Integrity and able to work independently without supervision.
- Manage time very well.
- LAVITA (Los Angeles Violence Intervention Training Academy) certification
- Trained on the GRYD Model of practice and the Efforts to Outcome (ETO) Database
- Basic Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point
- Bilingual (Spanish preferred)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.