Alcohol & Other Drugs Counselor (Certified) - (CCRecovery)
Adult Services | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Central City Recovery is a six (6) month co-ed program offering substance abuse disorder/co-occurring mental health issues treatment for those who are at risk for HIV or HIV positive, LGBT, and ex-offenders with wrap-around services including assessments, individual counseling, group counseling, treatment planning, case management & referrals, and mental health therapy as needed. We assist at risk and/or HIV positive clients in achieving and maintaining sobriety thru evidence-based services; linkage with medical care and services for optimal health, case management, discharge planning and aftercare are strongly encouraged for continued support.
- Performs primary alcohol and drug counseling functions for clients including screening, assessment, and intake; collaborate with case manager and LPHA; crisis intervention; group, individual, and educational sessions; discharge and transition planning; discharge summary and coordination of treatment services with members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Provides one on one, mentoring, support, assistance, problem solving and advocacy to clients.
- Undergoes training and demonstrate knowledge of the requirements of the ASAM Levels of Care, Trauma Informed Services using Motivational Interviewing and other evidenced based programs utilized by the agency.
- Support Culturally Sensitive, Gender Responsive and Trauma informed milieu.
- Timely and accurate entry of electronic health records that reflects treatment and progress of clients in the program. Documentation may include web-based, electronic and/or paper documents.
- Attend and participate in scheduled supervision meetings with assigned supervisor; attend and participate in shift exchange meetings, case conferences, staff meetings and other treatment team meetings in accordance with program needs and as assigned;
- Meet regularly with team members concerning client and program issues; assists in development or modification of procedures or improvement of services.
- Ensure the implementation of the prescribed treatment protocol of the program in which he or she is employed, including manualized and evidence-based practices.
- Develop, plan and initiate methods of exposing clients to healthy lifestyle activities designed to alter former lifestyles, attitudes, images and other negative behavioral patterns.
- Adhere to the professional ethics and conduct of standards as established by professional licensure and/or certification and to the policies of the organization, and legal, funding and regulatory requirements.
- Attends all required training sessions in accordance with organization, state licensing, and regulatory requirements.
- Transports program participants in the company vehicle to scheduled appointments, other off site appointments, and events as assigned.
- Monitor and records client self-administration of medication in accordance with organization Policies and Procedures and collects specimen from clients for drug screens in accord with organization Policy and Procedures.
- Assisting with other program activities including community service, special events, etc.
- Provide customer oriented telephone coverage.
- Alcohol and Drug Counseling Certification by an approved accrediting organization
- High school diploma or equivalence
- A minimum of three years experience in the provision of SUD treatment services working with the target population
- Knowledge of substance use disorder and family dynamics related to substance abuse;Culturally sensitive and competent, with bi-lingual skills preferred;
- Computer skills required and data reporting experience
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- AA or higher degree in Behavioral Science (highly desired)
- Computer literate; demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and web-based applications
- Strong crisis management, conflict resolution and de-escalation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize an electronic clinical management system
- Good organization skills
- Bilingual Spanish preferred