Administrative Assistant, Senior
Upward Bound | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income familiies and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increate the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
The Senior Administrative Assistant in responsible for smooth daily program office operations. In addition, this position handles all database support tasks and provides technical assistance to staff and program participants.
The duties are summarized as:
- Provides administrative support to the Program Director including, but not limited to, handling all electronic correspondence, answering phones, and maintaining master calendar of appointments, events and activities.
- Maintains a comprehensive database system that meets the project requirements; inputs/updates participant information and other needed information; trains program staff on usage, functions and features
- Prepares reports on program performance for funders and for director and staff
- Assists program staff and participants with installation of upgrades, troubleshooting and maintenance for stand-alone and LAN PCs; may work with IT staff on implementation of new hardware and software applications
- Provides all clerical support to program staff such as mailings to participants, parents and schools; preparation of timesheets; travel arrangements for staff and participants; and processing of check requests and purchase orders.
- Maintains program files and handles receptionist duties.
- Associate's degree in technology, computer science or related field, or equivalent job experience preferred
- Must have excellent computer skills including knowledge of Window and Microsoft Office applications
- At least 1 years of demonstrated experience in PC support
- Minimum of 1 year of general administrative experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (written and oral) desirable
- Health, TB and fingerprinting clearances required
- Knowledge of audio-video equipment helpful
- Must have valid California driver's license and access to car with adequate insurance to be able to travel to different school sites