Administrative Assistant (Cal OES - HYIS)
Youth Services | Compton, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOA - LA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Homeless Youth Innovative Services
The Homeless Youth Innovative Service (HYIS) Program is a mobile outreach van that provides basic need kits including food, safe sex kits, blankets, underwear, and hygiene kits to homeless youth between the ages of 16 - 24.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative, secretarial and clerical support to others in the office to maintain an efficient office environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support staff by riding with them to outreach events and helping them complete intakes, files and organize paperwork.
- Conducts initial street screenings, immediate needs assessments and crisis stabilization.
- Assists in developing Individual Service Plans and linkages with services, and maintaining accurate records of participant progress.
- Coordinate office activities and operations to secure efficiency and compliance to company policies.
- Manage phone calls and correspondences.
- Support budgeting and bookkeeping procedures with logging and tracking office receipts and expenditures.
- Create and update records and databases with personnel, and office data.
- Maintain inventory of office supplies and place orders when necessary.
- Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate).
- Minimum of 1-year experience in an administrative office environment.
- Knowledge of office procedures and basic budgeting principles.
- Working knowledge of file navigation and archiving to network locations.
- Basic computer and Microsoft operating system navigation.
- Experienced and familiarity working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
SKILLS and ABILITIES.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working independently or in a team environment.
- Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Prompt, collaborative, team player, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, and compassionate.
- Valid California driver's license, adequate proof of automotive insurance, and/or access to reliable transportation.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (Written and verbal).
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.